Fending Off Flea Foes
The finesse of fending off flea foes follows a few facts.
By DR. STUART MITCHELL
Fact one: Kill fleas on pets—cats and dogs (relieve discomfort).
Fact two: Break the flea life cycle indoors and outdoors.
Fact three: Prevent future flea infestations.
- One flea takes ~15x its body weight in blood daily.
- A female flea can place ~40 to 50 eggs per day.
- Fleas can cause allergies, anemia, distress, and tapeworms.
Flea Dx & Rx
- The collaboration of a veterinarian and pest management professional results in successful flea elimination and aftercare prevention.
- Pets should be examined and diagnosed by a veterinarian, which involves a physical exam, history, and clinical assessment.
- A pest management professional should provide appropriate structural treatment and prevention services.
- Eggs are placed on the pet’s coat and generally roll off onto pet resting areas.
- Fleas stay on the pet and do not transfer host to host.
- Fleas are acquired from an infested area.
- Potential for thousands of eggs.
- A flea infested pet is like a "salt shaker" for flea eggs.
Flea Hot Spots
- Indoors: Pest resting and sleeping areas are a particular concern. Interview pet owners to determine resting and sleeping areas and map pet resting areas for focal treatments.
- Outdoors: Check around urban wildlife hosts like shaded and protected areas. These can be under bushes or porches or within crawlspaces, doghouses or kennels.
Fending Off Flea Foes
- After a veterinary consultation, and following veterinarian and product directions, administer a pet product (oral, with food, or topical spot, directly to skin) to eliminate fleas on the host.
- All pets must be treated and no product doses missed.
- Elimination of fleas on the pet may take 4 to 24 hours.
- Host products may kill fleas up to 30 days.
- Wash pet bedding and the pet owner's too, if pet sleeps in their bed.
- Vacuum routinely, focusing on pet resting areas as well as under furniture (seal and properly dispose of the vacuum bag).
- Cut grass and manage vegetation.
- Eliminate rodent pests in and around the structure.
- Consult a wildlife damage control professional if necessary.
- Coordinate with both a veterinarian and pest management professional for successful flea elimination and aftercare prevention.
Break the Flea Life Cycle with Precor 2625 Premise Spray
For use in residential and commercial buildings, garages, and kennels.
- Covers 2625 square feet.
- 360-degree valve allowing for upright and inverted broadcast.
- Broad label treats a variety of nuisance pests.
- Designed for broadcast and crack and crevice applications.
- Kills flea larvae.
- Four-week residual action.
- More than 200 days of protection against developing flea larvae.
Apply Precor 2625 as a crack and crevice, void, or spot treatment in areas where these pests crawl and hide, especially on hidden surfaces around sinks and storage areas, along and behind baseboards, around doors and windows, behind and under refrigerators, cabinets, sinks and stoves, and on the underside of shelves, drawers, bookcases and other areas where pests are seen.
For more information go to http://www.zoecon.com/products/igrs/precor-2625-premise-spray today.
PMP’s Direct To You provides pest management professionals with educational refreshers on timely and critical topics essential to operational success. This content is not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice where you live. Look for the content-rich PMP Direct To You archives at mypmp.net/direct-to-you-archive.